This was Mother’s First Lie.
As I grew, Mother gave up her spare time to fish in a river near our house; she hoped that from the fish she caught, she could give me a little bit more nutritious food for my growth. Once she had caught just two fish, she would make fish soup. While I was eating the soup, mother would sit beside me and eat what was still left on the bone of the fish I had eaten; My heart was touched when I saw it. Once I gave the other fish to her on my chopstick but she immediately refused it and said, “Eat this fish, son! I don’t really like fish.“
This was Mother’s Second Lie.
Then, in order to fund my education, Mother went to a Match Factory to bring home some used matchboxes which she filled with fresh matchsticks. . This helped her get some money to cover our needs. One wintry night I awoke to find Mother filling the matchboxes by candlelight. So I said, “Mother, go to sleep; it’s late: you can continue working tomorrow morning.” Mother smiled and said “Go to sleep, son! I’m not tired.“
This was Mother’s Third Lie
When I had to sit my Final Examination, Mother accompanied me.. After dawn, Mother waited for me for hours in the heat of the sun. When the bell rang, I ran to meet her.. Mother embraced me and poured me a glass of tea that she had prepared in a thermos. The tea was not as strong as my Mother’s love, Seeing Mother covered with perspiration; I at once gave her my glass and asked her to drink too. Mother said “Drink, son! I’m not thirsty!“.
This was Mother’s Fourth Lie.
After I had finished my studies and gotten a job, it was time for my old Mother to retire but she carried on going to the market every morning just to sell a few vegetables. I kept sending her money but she was steadfast and even sent the money back to me. She said, “I have enough money.“
That was Mother’s Fifth Lie.
I continued my part-time studies for my Master’s Degree. Funded by the American Corporation for which I worked, I succeeded in my studies. With a big jump in my salary, I decided to bring Mother to enjoy life in America but Mother didn’t want to bother her son; she said to me “I’m not used to high living.“
That was Mother’s Sixth Lie
In her dotage, Mother was attacked by cancer and had to be hospitalized. Now living far across the ocean, I went home to visit Mother who was bedridden after an operation. Mother tried to smile but I was heartbroken because she was so thin and feeble but Mother said, “Don’t cry, son! I’m not in pain.“
That was Mother’s Seventh Lie.
M – O – T – H – E – R
“M” is for the Million things she gave me,
“O” means Only that she’s growing old,
“T” is for the Tears she shed to save me,
“H” is for her Heart of gold,
“E” is for her Eyes with love-light shining in them,
“R” means Right, and right she’ll always be,
Put them all together, they spell “MOTHER”
A word that means the world to me.
-We have to appreciate and love our mother. Not one day, not on Mother's Day, not on her Birthday. But EVERYDAY. Yes, with every beat of your heart.
How Do we Love our own Mother?
- We need to express our love to our mother everyday, not just because today's Mother's Day.
- Jesus even expressed his concern to His earthly Mother!
John 19: 26-27
25 Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26 When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to her, “Woman, here is your son,” 27 and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.
- Thus, what more us? We obviously NEED to show our concern to our Mother.
- There are a few ways to love your Mother.
1. Love Her Verbally
- Whenever you talk to her, or in your speeches with her, use words of love.
- It would bring assurance, encouragement and comfort to your mother.
- Say words like, "Thank You, Mum," "I'm sorry, Mum" "I love you, Mum"
- Though, sometimes, your mum isn't perfect and she would nag, or even shout at you. Hence, you feel frustrated and angry, then show your tantrum or even shout back.
- Well, not to make you feel dumb, but you AREN'T perfect too! So shouting back or anger doesn't make matters better, or doesn't make you a winner. It just makes you... well, Foolish.
- Instead you could say " Mum, I'm terribly sorry," and then all would be good.
2. Love Her Physically
- Your Mother was the first person to ever touch you.
- She was the one who wrapped you in her womb for 9 Months!
- Then when you were born, she was the first to hold you, gently rub you, embrace you, hug you and held on to you. Your Mother was the first to ever held you in her arms.
- Then when you're a toddler, she's the first to ever wipe your mouth, feed you, bath you, change your diapers, wear your clothes for you, comb your hair, clean your wound to when you injure yourself and more.
- The Physical Touch was there. The touch of love was first poured out on you by your mother.
- Well, how do you express it to her physically? By hugging her, kiss her on her cheek, massage her, holding her hand... All this speaks a lot to her.
-When you embrace her, she could feel your love.
- This would convey a good meaning towards her.
- You could just sit beside her to show that you really want to be with her or next to her by her side.
3. Love Her Patiently
- You must learn how to appreciate what your mother had done for you.
- Sometimes we are not patient to our Mother and we take her for granted.
- When she ask you to do a house chore, you complain. When she ask you to help her, you drag your feet. And when she ask you to do your homework, you scream at her.
- Well, think of it this way... When you ask your mum to wash your clothes, did she leave it dirty? When you ask your mum to cook your favorite dish, did she cook your least favorite? And when you said you are too busy with homework to help her with her chores, did she leave it unfinished?
- Therefore, we must be patient to her and understand what she is going through. Never complain. She did everything for you!
4. Love Her Attentively
- Be patient to listen to your Mother. Obey her.
- Your Mother always listen to you and then give you advices when you come home from school being all worn out and the situations in school.
- Sometimes, we carelessly listen to our Mother. We only listen with half an ear to her.
- We must be able to offer her our ears to listen attentively and patiently to do what is right.
- She would really appreciate it very much.
5. Love Her Gratefully
- Be genuinely thoughtful to your Mum.
- Show you thankfulness for all that she had done. She had done so much for you and even sacrifice her favorite things because of you.
- She did it out of love.
A little boy came up to his mama in the kitchen one evening
While she was fixing supper
And he handed her a piece of paper he'd been writin' on
And after wipin' her hands on her apron she read it and this is what it said...
"For mowing the yard 5 dollars"
"For making my own bed this week 1 dollar"
"For going to the store 50 cents"
"For playing with my little brother while you went shopping 25 cents"
"For taking out the trash 1 dollar"
"For getting a good report card 5 dollars"
"and for raking the yard 2 dollars"
Total amount owed 14 dollars and 75 cents
Well as mama looked at him standing there expectantly
And he could see the memories flashing through her mind
And so she picked up the pen and turning the paper over
This is what she wrote and he read...
"For the nine months she carried you growing inside me, no charge"
"For the nights I sat up with you doctoring you praying for you, no charge"
"For the time and the tears that you've caused through the years there's no charge"
"For the nights filled with dread and the worries ahead, no charge"
"For advice and for knowledge and the cost of your college, no charge"
"For the toys food and clothes and for wiping your nose there's no charge"
"When you added all up the full cost of our love is no charge"
Well when he finished readin' he had big tears in his eyes
And he looked up at his mother and he said mama I sure do love you
Then he took the pen and in great big letter he wrote "Paid In Full"
When you added all up the full cost of her love is no charge.
6. Love Her Generously